The Mu Eta chapter of Sigma Nu International Fraternity was colonized in 1992, and had one of the quickest colony to chapter records in Sigma Nu history. Being granted our charter on February 23rd, 1993, we hold the distinction of being the oldest fraternity on campus by almost a decade. We are proud to be one of the most decorated student organizations on campus, with 7 past Student Body Presidents, dozens of Student Government officials, multiple time winners of Student Organization of the Year, perennial Greek Man of the Year and Intramural Champions.
- Chapter Founding: Colonized Fall 1992, Chartered Spring 1993
- Chapter Designation: Mu Eta (260)
- Current Membership: 16 Brothers, 7 Candidates
- Historic Membership: 222 Initiated Brothers
- Diversity: 16% minority members (Brothers and Candidates); higher than UNCA as a whole
- Majors: We represent a wide range of majors at UNCA, including music technology, management, economics, accounting, history, political science, pre-med, pre-law, mass communication and new media development.
- Alumni Achievements: Sigma Nu Mu Eta alumni are among the most accomplished alumni from the University of North Carolina - Asheville. They include two-time New York Times Bestseller List author Dr. Wiley Cash, Biltmore Estate Chief Curator Darren Poupore, former UNCA Professor and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Dr. Kevan Fraizer, WMTW-TV Meteorologist Matt Zidle, former ABC 7 Chicago First Alert Storm Team Meteorologist Mark McGinnis, North Carolina Army National Guard Colonel Wes Morrison, Wells Fargo Investment Banker Jack Voelker, doctors, lawyers, professors, researchers and teachers in the Asheville area and beyond.
- Leadership Positions held by members of the Chapter: President of Student-Alumni Association, President of Rotaract Club, President of Inter-Fraternity Council, Vice President of Inter-Fraternity Council, Order of Pisgah collegiate members, Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, Outdoor Trip Leaders, Student Ambassadors, and much more.
- National Fraternity: Founded in 1869 at the Virginia Military Institute, Sigma Nu is one of the nation's oldest and largest social fraternities, boasting 278 active and inactive chapters and 227,000 initiates.
Mu Eta Accomplishments
- First and only Greek organization to have an on-campus chapter house
- Oldest extant fraternity at UNCA
- Highest average GPA of any fraternity on campus
- Largest party on UNCA campus (Halloween)
- 2015 Intramural Basketball Champions
- Largest Growth 1 Year Growth Percentage of any Greek organization
- One of the fastest colony to chapter times in Sigma Nu nationally
- (Unofficially, but quite obviously) Best Faculty Advisors of any Greek Organization; Ed Johnson and James Carter
Since its introduction at UNC Asheville in 1993, Sigma Nu has been very involved in campus events and organizations, including producing seven student body presidents and seven vice-presidents. Sigma Nu's values are defined by their integrity, brotherly love, truth, and honor. They demonstrate these values through their service to Mission Children's Hospital and Veterans' Restoration Quarters. Sigma Nu Mu Eta strives to reflect the founding principles of our fraternity in our every day lives, and seek only to recruit and accept men into our brotherhood that we feel will uphold this admittedly high standard.